Get involved, select a mile and share your dream!
Beach of Dreams is an epic journey to discover the hidden gems of the East Coast of England, inviting collaboration from communities and artists along the way in Suffolk, Essex, Southend, and Thurrock.
Kinetika’s Artistic Director, Ali Pretty, and writer Kevin Rushby are walking the entire route, joined by artists, writers, scientists, and local residents. Together, guided by strong environmental themes and the challenges of our current time, they will consider the question “How can we creatively reimagine our future?”
You are invited to choose a mile along the route that means something to you, submit an image of the landscape, a drawing and a few words about your connection to it and your dream for its future.
All words and photos sent in will contribute to a new digital story map of the coastal path, reflecting and recording the narrative of the walk as it unfolds.
Images submitted earlier in the year were used as inspiration for the design of 500 silk pennants illustrating the beautiful coastal landscape and its challenges. These pennants were hand painted using natural dyes by the Kinetika Design Studio and form spectacular installations during the journey.
Find the list of ‘unmapped’ miles here.
To see them on a map, check out the Storymap. Click on ‘EXPLORE THE MILES’ on the left and browse the red dots. The ones without content are awaiting input.
Choose a mile of the walk near to you, or one that you have a deep connection with.
TAKE TWO PHOTOS
Walk your mile and take two photographs to show the area: one wide shot and one detail shot. The wide shot should show a view that gives context of where you are.
Images submitted earlier in the year were used as inspiration for silk pennants to represent every mile.
See what other people have submitted on the Storymap.
Need some inspiration?
Look at the ground beneath your feet and at the landscape and seascape you are walking in. What can you see? Sea, coast, sand, pebbles, rocks, shells, flora and fauna, meeting of land and sea, dunes, boats, seaside furniture, facades, seating, coastal structures, piers, posts, graffiti, sheds, huts, buoys, ropes, floats, nets, baskets, birds.
Take a close-up photograph What intrigues you? What do you see? Patterns, textures, markings, colours, shapes, lines, light and dark, shadows, reflections, distortions, movement, scattering, overlapping, harmony and discord, erosion and decay.
WRITE THREE SHORT PARAGRAPHS ABOUT YOUR SELECTED MILE
In 300 words or fewer (150 works well), describe:
• What drew you to this particular square foot of the beach/land? Describe what you see.
• What connects you to this mile, who do you share it with? What are your memories?
• What are your dreams for this place? Imagine what would you like it to be for your great, great, great grandchildren in circa 2100.
• Give your writing a title.
• Submit your words, and they will be added to the map.
(OPTIONAL) CREATE A LINE DRAWING FROM SHAPES IN YOUR CLOSE-UP PHOTO
This is how the designs for the silk pennants were created if you’d like to have a go. The pennants have now all been finished but any uploaded drawings can still contribute to the storymap.
• Print out your photo
• Using a pencil make a tracing of the lines, patterns, textures, marks, that you see.
• Go over it in a thick marker pen, abstracting, simplifying, exaggerating the pattern.
• Photograph or scan your drawing.
• Upload your drawing along with your other content to the Storymap.
SUBMIT YOUR WORK
A reminder of what to send:
• Two colour photos – one of your mile, one close-up.
• Up to 300 words: Your description of place. Your memories. Your dreams.
• (Optional) Your line drawing.
OVER TO US
After checking and reformatting we will transfer them onto the big Beach of Dreams Storymap.
WALK WITH US
We invite you to carry your dream
– as a silk pennant, walking with us on your mile during the journey.
Each day of the walking route has its own page on this website, and those pages are where the most up to date information will be for each day.