Seeking a New Chair for our Board
Image above (c) Mike Johnston
Seeking a New Chair
Kinetika currently seeks a Chair to shape the next exciting phase for the organisation, successful candidates will bring a passion for art and community engagement. The Board is committed to empowering female leadership; as such, gender diversity will be a very important consideration in its decision-making process.
Kinetika is at an exciting stage in its growth journey. The company has renewed funding as an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation (NPO) for 2023-2026, and is planning to use that period to scale programmes and establish new initiatives. Specifically, there are currently plans to develop a third branch, Kinetika Women, a new foundation as a third strand to support women from underrepresented backgrounds start and sustain careers as creative leaders.
The new Chair at Kinetika will be responsible for working with Trustees and the senior leadership team to meet the challenges and ensure that Kinetika continues to play an important role in the local and international communities it serves. As a note, Kinetika People is a limited company and as such its Trustees are also Directors of the company.
The Chair will:
- Act in the best interests of Kinetika, operating within the law and according to the governing documents, as well as abiding by its policies and procedures
- Support the objective and mission of Kinetika, specifically spearheading on the establishment of Kinetika Women and scaling their international partnership work
- Be an active leader of the Trustees and a spokesperson for the Board
- Playing a major role in representing Kinetika externally in the UK and globally, including building and maintaining successful relationships with staff, volunteers, partnership organisations, and other external relationships
The Chair’s key responsibilities are to:
- Set a clear vision, mission and strategic direction for Kinetika, and ensure that the necessary structures are in place to deliver those as part of the strategic management of the charity
- Hold the Director and executive to account for the performance of Kinetika
- Ensure that Kinetika complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Act as guardian of Kinetika’s assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application
- Ensure that Kinetika’s governance is of the highest possible standard
Kinetika is seeking a Chair who can provide leadership to the Board of Trustees, taking forward its vision and strategy and building on its social purpose to improve wellbeing and quality of life within the communities it serves. The successful candidate will bring financial acumen and experience of managing people effectively, particularly through the exciting period of expansion and growth the charity is now embarking on.
The new Chair will possess an enthusiasm for and understanding of the work of Kinetika and is keen to hear from those with an interest in the arts, community engagement, and who are ultimately passionate about its mission. Additionally, candidates with a background and active network in the international development sector would also compelling.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Leadership experience at a significant organisation at main-board level, as an Executive or Non-Executive Director
- Appreciation and exposure to the responsibilities of a Chair, whether in the commercial, public, or not-for-profit sectors
- A strong understanding of the role of Non-Executive Chair, with a focus on leading and developing Board members and working closely with the Chief Executive to provide strong leadership to the wider organisation
- A strong network, with the willingness to participate actively in Kinetika’s development activities
- An ability to nurture a diverse and inclusive environment where staff, volunteers and Board members feel supported and able to reach their full potential
Please note:The Board is committed to ensuring that its composition reflects gender diversity and highlights organisational commitment to empowered female leadership; as such, its commitment to diversity will be an important factor in its process. Please see the Diversity section for further guidance.
Tony Witton, Chair
Martin Tyson, Treasurer
Terms of appointment
This role is unremunerated, but reasonable, pre-agreed travel expenses will be reimbursed. There is currently no set term length, however the Chair will commit to serve a minimum of three years.
UK – South East (role can be remote, with a preference for candidates who can attend events)
Kinetika welcomes applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability. As individuals from ethnic minorities, or of international heritage, are currently under-represented on the Board, applications from those candidates would be particularly encouraged. All appointments will be made on merit, following a fair and transparent process. In line with the Equality Act 2010, however, the organisation may employ positive action where diverse candidates can demonstrate their ability to perform the role equally well.
To apply, please hear to Nurole’s website by clicking the button below and fill in the form.