(c) Matt Crossick/PA Wire
The Thank You Dance
The Thank You Dance by Ali Pretty from Kinetika and Jeanefer Jean-Charles MBE from Jeanefer Jean-Charles & Associates was originally commissioned as a section for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Pageant, which took place on 5 June 2022, winding through the streets of Westminster and along The Mall past Buckingham Palace. The Thank You Dance was the finale section of ‘Let’s Celebrate’, Act 3 of the Platinum Jubilee Pageant which told the story of Her Majesty’s record reign and our transforming society over this period.
The Thank You Dance was featured in Hello! Magazine, Daily Mirror, MailOnline, the BBC’s The One Show, Sky News, BBC News and many more media outlets in the lead-up, during and after The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Pageant.
The Thank You Dance was a ‘Thank You’ to the Queen for 70 years of public service, and a ‘Thank You’ to all those who selflessly contribute to society, looking after our communities and laying the foundation for a better life for generations to come.
Like to own a memento from The Thank You Dance? Own a unique, hand-painted scarf that appeared in The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Pageant. Discover the scarves and shop now.
The Thank You Dance film, by Fotis Begklis
‘I want to thank everyone on the NHS front line, as well as care workers and those carrying out essential roles, who selflessly continue their day-to-day duties outside the home in support of us all. I am sure the nation will join me in assuring you that what you do is appreciated and every hour of your hard work brings us closer to a return to more normal times.’
– Her Majesty the Queen, April 2020
Inspiration was taken from Her Majesty to thank:
- Our key workers and the essential role they played throughout the pandemic
- Our volunteers who have stepped up with kindness to look after their neighbours
- Our young people who are actively taking responsibility for the future of the planet
Together we presented a spectacular, visually stunning, and animated movement section of the pageant with hundreds of performers adorned in silk, drawn from across generations from London, Milton Keynes, and Thurrock.
On the 5 June, The Thank You Dance contained:
- 28 key workers from across Thurrock and Milton Keynes, 14 of which were depicted on 6m tall key worker scrolls, which they held within the procession. Each of the scrolls depicts a key worker and also represents the sector they work in. Each key worker that appeared in the Pageant was nominated to be a part of the celebration by their local community. Discover the key worker stories.
- 14 professional dancers led by Jeanefer Jean-Charles & Associates, interacting and celebrating with the key workers at the front of the section
- 60 young dancers (30 from Dimensions Dance Company at South Essex College in Thurrock and 30 from Arts 1 School of Performance at USP College in Milton Keynes) dancing with 60 hand-painted silk scarves depicting endangered species from across the world
- A 4.5m-tall Tower Queen, Yewande Kannike – a queen of the people and planet – accompanied by two Heroines, Majula Koria and Valerie Muzelenga representing the four nations of the UK. Each woman is a volunteer or keyworker from Thurrock and Milton Keynes
- 30 young dancers from Impact Dance, London with 10 silk scarves of endangered species, who joined the other young people later in the dance to showcase a total of 70 endangered species scarves
- 100 volunteers (50 from Thurrock and 50 from Milton Keynes) each carrying a flag designed and made by community groups from their area, telling stories of their community
Meet the Key Workers of The Thank You Dance
We thank our key workers from across Thurrock and Milton Keynes.
Have The Thank You Dance at your event
The Thank You Dance returned to Thurrock on 25 June as part of the finale for the T100 Festival 2022 and the Port of Tilbury Open Day, featuring all Thurrock key workers, volunteers and young people that appeared on The Mall.
All costumes, scrolls and scarves that made up the Thank You Dance are available for hire/tour to other festivals and events. If you’re interested in hiring the Thank You Dance elements or would like to partner with us to bring the Thank You Dance to your event, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See The Thank You Dance in action below:
The Scrolls of The Thank You Dance
The Scarves of The Thank You Dance
You can own one of the unique, hand-painted scarves that appeared in The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Pageant. Discover the scarves and shop now.