Hand woven, heritage quality, undyed silk cloth from India.
Kinetika is an importer of this heritage-quality hand-woven silk from West Bengal. Sales support Kinetika’s charitable work and help the weavers to continue their skilled craft.
Murshidabad silk is now our preferred choice when making batik flags due to its ability to hold bright dye colours and the soft but durable texture.
£24 per metre, plus postage, or only £18 per metre when purchasing 12 metres or more.
- Colour: Light creamy white
- Type: Mulberry silk
- Weight: 10mm-12mm
- Width: 80cm, 114cm, 120cm depending on selection
- Piece length: 12 metres
- Shrinkage: Expect 3-8%
- Prepped for dye: The silk has no starches, sizing or finishes on it and has been degummed at source. It should be prepped for dying like you would any other silk.
- Suitable for digital print? No, it is not coated for digital printing and is better suited for dying.
Please note, there may be slight variations in width, texture and colour between pieces due to the hand-made nature of the fabric. These are not considered defects of the fabric.
- The silk yarn used to make this cloth is from Maldah, West Bengal.
- This cloth is hand woven by 14 families from Dangapara, Murshidabad, West Bengal.
Read more about the discovery of Murshidabad Silk.
Footage shot by Richard Abbatt, stills by Mike Johnston, edited by Fotis Begklis.