Purfleet Beacon to Grays
Walk 34: Sat 31st July 2021
On this page
Distance: 5 miles
Walking along with our sister festival T100 Dreaming, the route runs beside the Thames almost the whole way, walking along the infamous graffiti wall. There’s plenty of industry, but wilder patches too, as we cross under the QEII Bridge on our way to Grays. If the access is clear, we’ll pop in to see St Clements Church on the way, however we understand that the path is currently a bit inaccessible.
Please note that once the walk commences there are few ways to leave the route due to the river on the right and industrial sites on the left. It is usually possible to leave the path at St Clement’s Church and head to Chafford Hundred Station approx. 1 mile away at intu Lakeside. However the access to the Church may not be clear to do this, so you should plan walk the whole way along the Thames path.
After this walk there is a fun short walk with T100 Festival around Grays before a mini-procession to Grays Beach and some river-front fun next to the Lightship cafe. Beach of Dreams walkers are all very welcome to continue the walk with T100 down to Grays beach and don’t need to book separately. Info about the Grays Beach walk is here.
To all Walkers
There is only one official meeting location today; at the start. If you only wish to walk your one-mile stretch and join the walking party as it comes through your section, you can specify to meet ‘at my mile’ on the booking form. If you are meeting ‘at my mile’, please understand it is difficult for us to specify the exact time the main walking party will arrive. To help you estimate this, use the scheduled times below and add 30 mins per mile to get to your mile. We are using a walking speed of 2 miles an hour as a guide.
If you don’t receive any emails about the walks, please check your spam folder or email email@example.com
Please be on time.
- Start point 10AM: (Miles 486 -491) Purfleet Beacon, on the green next to The Royal Hotel, High Street, Purfleet RM19 1QA
- End point 1pm-1.30PM: Thameside Theatre, Orsett Rd, Grays RM17 5DX
T100 Grays to Grays Beach walk – everyone welcome to join this one too! More info
- 1.30pm – 2pm: High Street procession, gathering flags
- 2pm: Walk ends: Grays Beach Riverside Park, RM17 5JP
- 2 – 2.30pm: A look at the design on each of the new T100 Grays flags and the local groups they represent
- 2.30 – 3.30pm: A fun artist-led workshop on dreaming. Picnic-time! The Café will be open too.
- 3.30 – 4pm: Head to the foreshore to see a river-front performance from the amazing Kinetika Bloco and to watch flags sailing away on boats from Thurrock Yacht Club.
- 4pm onwards: Yacht club are hosting activities.
Route: Walk 34